One of the smallest boroughs in Italy, in 1991 the magazine "Airone” chose it as the "the ideal Italian village”. It is situated in one of the most beautiful wooded hollows of larch and fir trees in the Valsesia in the lateral Egua valley, inside the territory of the Upper Valsesia Natural Park. Here there is the Naturalistic Museum (information: ph. 0039 0163 56480): it is located in a historic Walser house expressly restructured to house the museum, thus skillfully combining nature and tradition

It was almost destroyed in 1755 by a terrible flood and in 1863 by a terrifying fire, almost all the houses today have been recently built: a few examples of historic Walser homes can be seen around the inner streets paved in stone and closed to traffic. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, was rebuilt in the first half of the XVIII century and contains a valuable altarpiece and railing in gilded wood. Orgiazzi frescoed the facade of the Oratory of Gabbio Grande in the same century.

Many excursions can be made from here into the park in the summertime: you can reach the Boffalora and Massero refuges, the Palone del Badile or follow the GTA (Grand Tour des Alpes) route crossing the Colle del Termo to reach Rima. During the winter, Carcoforo is much appreciated for it cross-country ski tracks, approved for competitions at a national level, with circuits of 2, 3 and 5km.

Torna alla lista dei comuni