- CAP: 13040
- Zona: Vercellese
- Altitudine: 250 metri
- Sito web: http://www.comuneborgodale.info
Fruit and vegetable (peach and kiwi cultivation), industrial centre and wild-life and hunting reserve, it is situated spanning the moraine hills of the lake of Viverone on the north and the planes of Vercelli on the south. This area has been crossed since ancient times by travellers using the path which connected the Western Po Valleyto the passes of the Little and Great Saint Bernanrd.
Before the foundation of Borgo d’Ale (1270), several villages were founded in this area of transit. Churches and ruins of defensive structures are left as testimony: the village of Areglio, the houses of which were situated around the Romanic church of Saint Mary ; the hamlet of Erbario, ancient dependence of the monastery of Saint Genuario (some side walls of the only nave of its church, dedicated to Saint Dalmazzo, are still visible); On the Bric del Mont there are other ruins which are believed to be the remains of the castle of Erbario; to the east of this hill there is the Meglio cless, which in the Middle Ages was ruled by the Benedictine monks of Saint Genuario and was dedicated to Saint Bononio (Near its scarce remains there is the church – sanctuary of the Virgin of the Cell – dating back to the middle of the XIX century)
The area were Borgo d’Ale was founded belonged instead to the territory of Clivolo, whose church, dedicated to Saint Michael and dating back to approximately 1050, controlled, for a long time, a parish of the Eusebius diocese. The oldest frescoes are kept inside this church and date back to the third quarter of the XI century.
With the foundation of Borgo d’Ale (1270), at the centre of the new free trade area the new parish churchdedicated to Saint Michael. The existing building, designed by the architect Bernardo Vittone in 1770, is characterised by a large hall with a central and hexagonal layout and surmounted by a big dome surrounded by six apses. The Church of Saint Francis dates back to the XVI century, while the Church of the Consolata, situated along the road towards Alice, dates back to the XVIII century.