This is an important town situated along the left bank of the river Po.

Apart from the façade, the church of S. Michael has Romanic features. At the side of the presbytery, there are some frescoed lacertus dating back to the last quarter of the XII century: they show, amongst other things, the Last Supper and Byzantine models modified according to the common interpretation of the Lombard area. The present parish of Saint Bartholomew dates back to a sixteenth century reconstruction, modified several times later on. In the choir there is a canvas by Pier Francesco Guala showing Saint Bartholomewbaptizing the royal family of Armenia (1734). In the northern transept there is a triptych of Gerolamo Giovenone, dated between 1510 and 1513, with the Virgin of the milk amongst the saints Dominic and Lawrence.

Paleologo palace, built between the beginning of the XIV century and the end of the next one, was a palace for the court of Paleologi, marquis of Monferrato from 1305 to 1532. Some frescos detached from the attichave been taken to the front room used for the Town Hall Council public library "Favorino Brunod”. This has been placed in a wing of the old convent of the Dominican monks. This last majestic complex is part of the church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria: the interior is characterized by late gothic features.

Under the impressive hall which runs at the side of the parish, you can find the entrance to the church of Saint Peter Martyr, which has a Virgin crowned by the Eternal and the saints Peter Martyr and Michael of Boniforte Oldoni (1578).

The church commonly known as church of Saint Francis is situated in the medieval area of Santa Maria in castro. The existing building dates back to the middle of the ‘700; in its interior there are paintings from Orsola Caccia (daughter of Moncalvo) and a wonderful eighteenth hundred wooden vestry.

The Church of Saint John the Baptist has a painting of Pier Francesco Guala. Saint Lawrence is also in the baroque style: of interest the statue of the Virgin with Saints Luigi Gonzaga and Saint Anthony of Padua, also made by Guala.

Other churches are: the church of All Saints or of the Misericordia, with a baroque interior, S. Maria della Neve, the church of the Virgin of the Divine Providence and the Church of the Virgin of the Sound Advice, richly decorated in the interior.

The Civic Museum"Gian Andrea Irico situated in Piazza Garibaldi covers the whole history of the town and of the surrounding territory.


Beyond the majestic arc at the entrance, it is possible to see on the right the church of the people (1741), built outside the cloister area on request of the monks, in order to serve the secular believers of the area. Beyond the big courtyard, the big main house attracts the eye. This was previously used by the monks. This long stone building finishes, at the southern end, in the Abbey church which still shows the perfection of the project of Valente de Giovanni, architect and Cistercian monk. The building has stopped being a worship place about twenty years ago.

The bell tower, connected with the southern side of the existing church, has a Romanic square base, dating back between 1150 and 1175. In old times it must have had a tall cusp, probably destroyed during the renovations of the eighteenth century. On the other side of the courtyard there is an arch which leads to the ancient second cloister of the monastery. The arcades, now used as warehouse, is precious for its ribbed vaults. Through a narrow door, on the right, it is possible to access the rooms of the ground floor of the house. This is probably the ancient part of the convent, made of wide halls with ribbed vaults. After the arcades, along the building which, until a few years ago was still in use, it is possible to reach the old main cloister of the monastery, connected to the abbey church.

The space of the capitular room, built in the middle of the XIII century, is imposing and majestic.

Torna alla lista dei comuni