- CAP: 13032
- Zona: Vercellese
- Altitudine: 127 metri
- Sito web: http://www.comune.asiglianovercellese.vc.it/
This is one of the most characteristic villages of the Vercelli area. Its origins are supposedly Roman.
The Saint Mary of the Assumption parish is the main building of the town: it was probably built in the XIII century, but rebuilt in the XIX century. As a matter of fact the neoclassic façade dates from 1818. The underlying wall is the last remains of the ancient fortifications, together with a crumbling cylindrical tower. In the internal area, the main marble altar is enriched by a silver tabernacle. Also the two lateral baroque altars are interesting. The fist one is surmounted by the altar piece ofSacred Heart with Saint Joseph , Saint Theresa and the Purgatory souls, made by Giuseppe Sateffanina. The second altar is surmounted by the altar piece of the Virgin of the Rosary of Giuseppe Porta. Lorgano belongs to the Serassi Brothers (1854).
The church of Saint Vittore, near the cemetery, is worth a visit. It contains the renaissance fresco of theVirgin Suckling the Child,of the Vercelli school.
THE OX RACE
Since 1436, always on the Festival of Saint Victor (the patron saint of the village), the Corsa dei Buoi (Ox Race)is held. This is a variation on the annual race which takes place in Caresana and probably was begun following a religious vow to the patron saint of the village when the plague was sweeping its way through the local population. Initially, the celebration required for the inhabitants of Asigliano to let 4 pair of oxen free along the avenuelea dla stassionas thanksgiving to Saint Victor, accompanied by the singing of theDeus Teorum Militum, composed in 1856 by the Felice Frasi, director of the orchestra at the cathedral of Vercelli. Nowadays, the festivities have changed, and range from flea markets to shows, dances and dinners, but are never very far from the old traditions.