Municipalities

Rimella

This is situated within the Alta Valsesia Natural Park and is made of 16 hamlets spread along the mountain slope. It is probably the oldest of the Walser colonies which were founded in Valsesia starting from the XIII century. In Rimella, the main testimonies of the walser culture are the local dialect and traditions, whilst the typical architecture, which can be found in several other towns in the valley, is not present here because of the scarcity of larch wood.

In the past several mines were discovered and exploited: gold, nickel and cobalt.

There are many crossings, climbs and trips in the area: all the surrounding mountain tops and the Strona and Anzasca Valleys, which can be reached following the GTA (Grande Traversata delle Apli– Alps Great track)foot path.

The Saint Michael parish is one of the most distinctive in Valsesia. It is egg-shaped and has four chapels. It was rebuilt in 1777 on the basis of a preceding 1528 parish. In its interior there are very refined stuccoes and marbles, frescoes from Peracino, eighteenth century pictures, a carved choir with tooling and caryatids, elegant polychrome marble balustrades and a carved wood baptismal font.

In Rimella there is also: one of the oldest Museums in Piedmont, designed and built by Giovanni Battista Filippa, the "Antiques and Rarities Exhibition Room”; an Ethnographic WalserMuseum.


Torna alla lista dei comuni