Municipalities

Desana

Mentioned for the first time in documents dating back to a little after One Thousand, in 1411 its rule passed from the Commune of Vercelli to Ludovico Tizzoni, under whom it enjoyed a long period of prosperity.

Such prosperity was reflected by the opening of a mint at the castle which stands opposite the main square: the mint, active until 1693 (the year in which the feud was sold to the Savoy dynasty), became sadly famous as the centre for forging foreign coins commissioned by "dishonest” merchants. Luckily, Desana is also remembered for the much nobler "Treasure of Desana”, a group of 47 splendid Roman-Gothic objects, 24 in gold and 23 in silver, dating from between the end of the IV and beginning of the V centuries and bought for the Museum of Antiquities in Turin by Vittorio Viale, according to whom the real provenance of these objects is uncertain and might well be Trino. That is why the Civic Museum of Trino contains photographs of some of the items composing the treasure.

Near the castle is the parish church,dedicated, according to the affirmation of an epigraph found during restoration work, to the Virgin Mary, Peter and the martyrs Alexander and Maurice. Close to the parish church is the church of Saints Fabian and Sebastian(1618), containing an altar and altar railing in baroque style; on the road to Tricerro is the delightful, small church of the Blessed Virgin Addolorata, where, as well as a Mary behind the altar shown with seven swords in her heartbending over the dead Christ, one may admire the beauty of the altar and the marble inlays.


Torna alla lista dei comuni