Municipalities

Caresana

A town of ancient origin, rich in history and tradition, situated on the right of the Sesia river between the artificial canals of Bona and Marcova.

On the corner of corso Italia and corso Roma stands the Parish church of Saint Matthew. It must have been a typical gothic church in Lombard-Piedmontese style; unfortunately it collapsed in 1743 and was rebuilt between 1748 and 1752. There is a grand entrance and the forms are simple and airy.

Further along corso Italia is the confraternity of Saint Catherine, which probably dates back to the XVI century. Taking the road which leads to the Cemetery, a little further on is the church of Saint Maria, mentioned as early as 1024: the church was completely rebuilt in the nineteenth century in neo-classical style; the entire area was widely redeveloped in this century, with the creation of the Parco della Rimembranza.

The Cemetery of Caresana, dating back to 1870 and where famous nineteenth and twentieth century Piedmontese artists worked, is of particular interest: Giuseppe Locarni ì, Luigi Carrara (the chapel), Luigi Martini ì, Ercole Villa, Attilio Gertmann.

The first document certifying the existence of the Church of Saint George dates back to 1118 but it must have been of Lombard origin and was, perhaps, the old parish church of the town, rebuilt after the earthquake of 1117. The church was the headquarters of the Company of Saint George, from which the famous Ox race originated.

THE OX RACE

This is a unique race of its kind preceding the historic race of Asigliano. The race probably originated in an entirely spontaneous manner without any official intervention: during the feast of Saint George it was customary to make a procession with the animals yoked to the carts as far as the tower, a sort of milestone outside the town; on returning to the town each driver wished to be the first to bring the blessed bread and therefore tried to overtake the other carts, inciting his own pair of oxen. That must have been how the race started which. With the passing of the centuries the race began to be an institution and to be regulated by a precise code of ceremony.


Torna alla lista dei comuni